Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Supper of the Heart

“Give me all of you!!! I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work. I want YOU!!! ALL OF YOU!! I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man or woman, but to KILL IT! No half measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and a branch there; rather I want the whole tree out! Hand it over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them ALL over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self---in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become your heart.” 
― C.S. LewisMere Christianity

The heart has a strange way about it.  It ponders while remaining content in its present state.  Yet when we imagine ourselves as we 'ought' to be, we can only picture ourselves the way that we are.  In doing such we generate a true state of mind which allows for the publication of doubt to rest in our bosom.  At present, we may find that our thinking is somehow measured by dreams and wishes that once had inspiration.  Instead, today those dreams and inspirations are nothing more then images blurred by eyes of shame, and sounds of guilt.  He did not create us that way.  Though, in a moment we may discover that the sight of shame, and the echoes of guilt are not just campfire stories told in the dark by one with a deep voice.  Shame and guilt may very well come to us in the form of a boogie man shaped like a ghost, with his existence dependent on the fact that a group of willingly aimless souls sitting in darkness at a campfire listening to strange stories of a shadow formed from fire that doesn't exist.  Faith comes by "hearing".  That even includes having faith in the foolish and unwise ways of an unthoughtful soul.

LWM

No comments:

Post a Comment